The Higher Education Authority (HEA) has released the names of 10 unregistered and unrecognised universities that are illegally operating in Lusaka, Kitwe, Choma, Katete and Mongu.
These institutions are:
- Ballsbridge University, located in Lusaka.
- Bangweulu National University, located in Katete, Luapula, Lusaka, Choma and Ndola. The Lusaka location is at Findeco House, 14th
- El-Bright University, located in Lusaka.
- Epic University, located off Paul Ngozi road, Kabwata, Lusaka.
- Greenpark University College, located at Electra House, 3rd Floor, Cairo Road, Lusaka.
- Paragon Technical University, located in Lusaka and Mongu.
- Pyramid University, located at Limson House in Lusaka.
- Southern Africa Institute of Technology University College (SAITUC), located at Plot 147, Ngwerere Road, Roma, Lusaka.
- World-class University, located in Kitwe City Square, opposite Insurance House, Kitwe.
- Yesbud University, located in Cairo Road, Lusaka.
In accordance with the provisions of the Higher Education Act No. 4 of 2013 Part IV Section 15 (1), a person shall not operate a private Higher Education Institution (HEI) unless the private HEI is registered under this Act, noting in Section 15 (2) that a person who contravenes subsection (1) commits an offence and is liable, upon conviction, to a fine not exceeding one million penalty units or to imprisonment for a period not exceeding three years, or to both.
Furthermore, the Act in Part VII Section 49 (1) (c) states that a person shall not without a certificate of registration, establish or operate any institution or organisation as a private HEI or use the title “university” or “college”.
Moreover, the Act in Part VII Section 49 (1) (d) clearly outlines that a person shall not where an HEI is not registered, do anything likely to lead people to infer that the higher education institution is registered under this Act.
Therefore, as HEA continues to deal with illegally operating, unregistered and unrecognised universities according to the provisions of the Law, it continues to warn the general public not to enrol at any private institution not registered neither should they enrol in any Learning Programme (LP) from both private and public HEIs that has not been accredited as their qualifications will not be recognised.
Corporate Communications Officer
HIGHER EDUCATION AUTHORITY
27th August, 2020
Join the conversation @HEAZambia on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and YouTube using the hashtag #HEAZambia #HigherEducationZambia, and visit our website for ALL the information on higher education in Zambia.
For more exclusive content, sign to our mailing list: http://hea.us16.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=43981b0a12bc108449006a396&id=482a71460e